Sunday, March 4, 2012

Dumaine Street Stop 6" x 6" oil on gessoboard

I found out that you can take some pretty descent reference photos cruising down the streets of New Orleans in my car. No, I did not do both. I drove and my son with his super duper camera shot through the closed windows. When all was said and done, he managed to take 1500 photos. Yes 1500. It took me 3 days to go through all of them, crop, recrop, and make the final cuts of what I would like to paint. Twenty two photos caught my eye. This was the first one I painted. I am trying to get the hang of  where to start a painting like this that has so much information. I decided to start from back, the sky and roof tops, to front - the buildings. It was an overcast day so there were no deep shadows.

No comments:

Post a Comment