Thursday, February 17, 2011

The Promised Red Rose 4"x4" Oil on Gessoboard

I love flowers but it is definitely a love-hate relationship when it comes to painting them- especially roses.

I chose a gray green backdrop to complement the red rose. This gray green color I painted in first so that I could see the relationship of the colors I would choose for the reds in the rose. The biggest challenge was trying to keep it simple. My still life rose had a lot more petals and that was becoming way too complicated so I simplified instead by eliminating some petals and also by using blocks of color shapes especially for the center of the rose.

The colors on the painting are a bit richer than this photo shows. I continue to have problems with getting the photo colors correct  in order to post.

No comments:

Post a Comment