Thursday, February 24, 2011

Roma's Gift Box 4" x 4" Oil on gessoboard


Before I got started with the painting, I took a black and white photo of the set up just to get a handle on the values. So important. I could see that the difference between the light side of the box and the shadow side was at least two value scales apart. That is in general. As the light hit the box from the shadow side of the table the value came a little closer to the value of the lighted side. Light against dark, dark against light. A constant comparison with background and foreground and the box. It took much longer than I thought.  I am pleased with the results however I do wish I could loosen my strokes a bit to get that painterly look. I will work on doing that in my next set up.

No comments:

Post a Comment